No need to support IE8 (even for corporate software)

One of my customers (mobilreport) is used by accountancy departments in large companies in Austria and Germany to analyze their employees’ mobile phone usage. More so than average web software, this web software needs to work on whatever web browsers large companies have installed; large companies tend to use more Internet Explorer than the world at large.

So it’s with pleasure that I report the following trend: (Numbers are the % of all users who come to the website within that month using IE8)

June 2012 34.94
July 2012 44.97
August 2012 22.12
September 2012 17.43
October 2012 16.00
November 2012 14.00
December 2012 7.78
January 2013 4.21
February 2013 1.85  (so far)

It’s amazing to think, only 7 months ago (July 2012), that 45% of our users were using IE8 (the remaining 55% being split between IE6, IE7, IE9, FF, …). And now less than 2%, hopefully soon even less.

I am developing more and more software which uses SVG to visualize things (e.g. United Youth Symbol Generator), and IE9+ (and other desktop browsers, and most mobile browsers) all support SVG. So the drop of IE8 is great news.

One Response to “No need to support IE8 (even for corporate software)”

  1. Robin Kearney Says:

    That follows what we have seen here. Over the last 18 months a couple of companies I’ve been dealing with have rolled out Windows 7 and IE9 onto all their desktops.

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

For inserting HTML or XML please remember to use &lt; instead of <