Don’t be afraid to use color in documentation
Traditionally one does business documents, diagrams, and in fact all other things, in black and white. But colour allows one to express more things.
- Headings stand out from the rest of the text much better when they're in colour.
- You can communicate much more in diagrams if you use e.g. blue text for an explanation, red text for method names, and so on.
- You can augment existing diagram notations, e.g. UML, with extra information using colour
There's no reason to only use black and white these days.
- Colour printers are very affordable. Everyone and every office has one. I bought one for €50 recently.
- Nobody uses black and white monitors or laptops any more.
- All electronic formats support colour: bitmap formats like GIF, PDF, Word, emails.